Godmanchester teenager nominated for prestigious award
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Godmanchester has been nominated for the Cambridgeshire Young People of the Year awards after spending her spare time raising money for two separate charities.
Katherine Green, 14, decided to firstly raise money for the charity Pseudomyxoma Survivor after her Grandad was diagnosed with cancer of the appendix (PMP) earlier this year.
She said: “My grandad was happy that I decided to raise the money.”
To raise the money Katherine decided to organise a 12 hour sponsored silence but she soon decided to extend event to 24 hours.
“My Grandad’s surgery took double the time than anyone thought it would so I wanted to double my time for the amount of time that he had to stay silent.”
Her mum Julie said: “She wanted to do something to give back to the people that helped her granddad.”
The money that Katherine raised will go to the Pseudomyxoma Survivor charity to pay for accommodation for families to stay near the Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital where their loved ones after often go through treatment for PMP.
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 7 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 8 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 9 Wood Farm has become 'rodent heaven' says Anne Marie
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
The Hinchingbrooke School pupil also decided to raise money through selling looms bands to her friends for the MS Therapy Centre, in Mayfield Road, Huntingdon.
“I am incredibly proud of her, the first thing we knew about it was when the organisation rung us up to check Katherine’s details,” added Julie.