“It’s a positive move for the town”, says mayor, as family butcher opens shop in St Neots
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of St Neots said the opening of a new family-run butcher in St Neots was a “positive” move for the town.
Gilberts Family Butchers officially welcomed customers to its new shop in New Street on May 2, alongside mayor, Councillor Barry Chapman.
The owners, husband and wife team Andrea and Andy Gilbert, are already well established with their other shop in The Highway, Great Staughton, but decided to open a second butcher's shop in a bid to encourage people to support independent businesses.
Friends, family members and customers all joined the family at the grand opening, where the mayor cut the ribbon and officially opened the store.
Mrs Gilbert said: "When we realised that this shop was up for sale, we knew we wanted to go for it. It's great where we are now, but we wanted to move into the town and thought it was the perfect opportunity. We only decided to move into the shop in January so we have been very busy, but we really hope that it will be worth it and that people will visit the town."
So far the shop has had a lot of positive feedback, with Gilberts Family Butchers Facebook page has reached 950 likes since the announcement.
Cllr Chapman said: "This is a positive move for St Neots. It's very important that we support shops like this, especially independent ones. I am hoping it will encourage more people to visit the town."
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
To find out more visit: Gilberts Family Butchers on Facebook.