Gallery & Video: View photographs from Lola race car parade
THE streets of Huntingdon were filled with the roar of racing cars on Sunday as Lola Cars celebrated its 50th anniversary. Thousands of people lined the streets to see some of Lola s most famous cars parade from the firm s base on St Peter s Road in Hunti
THE streets of Huntingdon were filled with the roar of racing cars on Sunday as Lola Cars celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Thousands of people lined the streets to see some of Lola's most famous cars parade from the firm's base on St Peter's Road in Huntingdon to the town's market square.
At the wheel of each car was a Lola driving legend - or in some cases a descendent of the racing driver - with the most famous of the bunch being John Surtees OBE, the only man to have won world championships on both two wheels and four.
The event, which was described as a proud moment for Lola and Huntingdon, also provided the public with a chance to get up close to some unique cars and collect the autographs of Surtees and his colleagues.
Racing driver Callum Lockie, who was behind the wheel of a Lola B07/90, told The Hunts Post he was impressed with the enthusiasm of the Huntingdon crowd.
"It was like a mini version of the parade at Le Mans," he said. "Huntingdon has got to keep this going and run an event like this again next year, not wait for the next 50-year anniversary."
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 9 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
nWould you support Huntingdon hosting a motorsport event each year? Send your views to firstname.lastname@example.org
nFor full coverage of the event, including comments from John Surtees, click back to our website on Monday and look out for this week's Hunts Post.