GALLERY: St Neots town centre packed for Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
St Neots was “packed like an underground train in rush hour” as revellers turned out in force for the Christmas lights switch-on on Friday night.
The town came alive with fire jugglers, magicians, singers, dancers and actors as thousands of people descended on the Market Square to experience the festive magic.
Skaters took to the free synthetic ice rink and shoppers visited the selection of stalls at the traditional Christmas market to stock up on gifts, mulled wine, mulled cider and much more.
On the night, children had the chance to meet Father Christmas in his grotto at the museum and to see him with his reindeer and sleigh in the Market Square.
The ice and magic-themed evening also included a fairground for visitors to enjoy.
Young People of the Year Award finalist and headline act The Rockabellas switched the dazzling lights on before a spectacular firework display.
St Neots town clerk Ed Reilly said: “It really was very good, everybody was enjoying it - it was just terrific as the whole town was busy.
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 5 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
“It attracted more visitors than in previous years and was every bit as good. We’ve had some very good feedback from it – everybody had a great time.”
County, district and St Neots town councillor Barry Chapman added: “It was absolutely massive, the fireworks display was tremendous. It was better than Disney World Fireworks - it was absolutely amazing.”
“This year you literally couldn’t move, the town was packed like an underground train in rush hour.”