GALLERY: Festival-goers enjoy celebrations at Godmanchester Gala Day
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of festival-goers were treated to a display of vintage cars, twirlers and model boats among other celebrations for Godmanchester Gala Day.
A colourful parade of floats and walkers made their way to the recreation ground on Saturday where the Mayor of Godmanchester Councillor David Underwood officially opened the day of celebration.
Visitors were treated to performances from the Hartford-based Blue Vision Twirlers, a display of vintage cars, including Bond cars and MGs, and a variety of stalls.
“It was all very good,” said Alan Hooker, president of Godmanchester Community Association. “I think the highlight was that it was really well attended and the weather was good.”
There was entertainment throughout the day, including a regatta of model boats by Cambridge Model Boat Club on the Causeway, whose members brought around 30 or 40 vessels, along with a shark’s fin.
You may also want to watch:
The scarecrow competition, which ran prior to the day, was won by the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, made by a family in West Street.
Rosemary Austin from St Anne’s Lane picked up second place with her Eliza Doolittle scarecrow and third place went to Zoe Jones from West Street for her representation of Mary Poppins. There was no prize for Jesus, who had divided opinion when he appeared on a cross on a lamppost in Stokes Drive, but was later removed and “resurrected” elsewhere.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Cllr Underwood said the weekend, which included Sunday’s Picnic in the Park, made him particularly proud to be mayor and that several visitors commented on the community spirit and local talent.
For more great Gala Day parade pictures, visit www.huntspost24.co.uk.