GALLERY: F1 boss Tony Fernandes and MTV’s Laura Whitmore amongst Olympic torchbearers in Huntingdon
FORMULA 1 Caterham boss Tony Fernandes took time out from the British Grand Prix preparations to run with the Olympic torch in Huntingdon this morning (Sunday).
The QPR chairman smiled as he took over responsibility of the flame from 17-year-old Matthew Dawson and ran through down Hartford Road. He passed the torch over to MTV presenter Laura Whitmore.
He said: “What an amazing feeling. Really enjoyed it, but any longer I may have struggled.”
The other runners in Huntingdon were Melanie Hare, Reg Whitaker, 91, from Warboys, Catherine Potterton, Jonathan Edwards, Bryn Percival, from Huntingdon, Dilshan Senanayake, Sara Dunling and Catherine Eastham.
Wendy Hopkins, 75, from Great Paxton, said: “The torch wasn’t going through St Neots so we came here to watch the relay. We were one of the first to turn up, at 7am, but the crowd is huge now. It’s been a great atmosphere.”
You may also want to watch:
Nine-year-old Katie Strange, of Godmanchester, told The Hunts Post: “It’s never going to come through the town again so we had to come. It’s incredible.”
You can e-mail your views and pictures of the torch relay to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident