Fundraising star scheme returns to St Neots and St Ives this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
You can make a special tribute to a lost loved one this Christmas – and help a string of worthy causes in the process.
Staff at Anglia Co-operative Funerals in St Neots and their colleagues at Dennis Easton Funeral Services in St Ives are launching their Star For A Star tributes at the towns’ Christmas lights switch-on events later this month.
The scheme allows people to make a donation and then place star-shaped tribute with personalised messages on the towns’ Christmas trees.
The Huntingdon Street, St Neots, funeral branch has raised about £4,000 in the four years it has been running Star For A Star. This is the second year for the St Ives branch, which last year generated over £400.
The proceeds will go to the branches’ respective mayor’s charity funds – Mayor of St Neots, Councillor Andrew Hansard, is supporting the Papworth Trust, St Neots Army Cadets, Huntingdon and District Sea Cadets, St Neots and District Scouting and Girlguiding Groups and the Upside Down Sports Club.
You may also want to watch:
At St Ives Mayor Cllr Nick Dibben is getting behind the Papworth Trust and Upside Down Sports Club with his charity fund.
Cllr Hansard said: “I would like to commend Anglia Co-operative Funerals. The idea that you write a message to a dearly loved departed one and the hang it on the tree in the square gives a wonderful feeling of connection and remembrance. Your message is there to express your feelings to those loved ones, to be taken into the ether and there to shine like a star to bring you closer at this time of year. Whatever religion you may be it gives a boost to your inner self and engenders a fond memory.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 9 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
Cllr Dibben said: “I am delighted that Star For A Star is supporting the Mayor’s charities this year. The Papworth Trust and the Upside Down Club both provide valuable support to disadvantaged people in the area and the money raised will help improve the quality of their lives.”
INFORMATION: The St Ives Christmas tree will be lit up at 5pm on Sunday, November 24, with the fun starting with a Christmas market from 10am.
The St Neots Christmas tree and lights are switched on at 7pm on Friday, November 29. The celebrations start from 3pm with a Christmas gift and craft market, ice skating, live music, Santa’s grotto, magicians, stilt walkers, fire jugglers and a funfair.
* If you would like to place a star tribute on either of the trees, but cannot attend the switch-on events, contact Anglia Co-operative Funerals at St Neots on 01480 210780 or Dennis Easton Funeral Services at St Ives on 01480 463019.