Fundraising Sam takes the Toughmums Challenge
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots mum who is raising money to fund surgery for her son who has cerebral palsy was chosen for the Good Morning Britain Toughmums Challenge.
Sam Smith, of Bramley Drive, in Offord D’Arcy, was one of 100 mums selected because of their inspirational stories, who took part in the event at Belvior Castle in Grantham, on May 18.
The 5k challenge was on a Toughmudder obstacle course including King of the Swingers, Mud Mile, Sewer Rat and Arctic Enema 2.0, which involves plunging into a container full of water and ice.
Celebrity mums, including Julia Bradbury, Sinitta and Good Morning Britain presenters also took part.
“I was on Ben Shephard’s team along with 14 other amazing mums, each having their own inspirational stories.
“I was chosen because of Zachery, dealing with his daily struggles and fund-raising for him and raising awareness for cerebral palsy,” said Sam.
Sam and husband Liam are aiming to raise £50,000 for an operation which could allow their son Zachery, aged 5, to walk independently.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 4 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 10 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
The couple have also organised a charity dinner and auction to raise money for the surgical procedure called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR), which is not funded on the NHS. The event is on October 14 at St Neots Football Club.
INFO: If you can donate raffle prizes, flowers or are prepared to perform at the event, contact Sam Smith on: email@example.com or 07739166160. To donate to the fund, go to: www.justgiving.com/Zacherysaim.