Funding boost for nature reserve will help improve disabled access
- Credit: Archant
Disabled access to Somersham Nature Reserve will be upgraded thanks to thousands of pounds worth of grant funding.
The Friends of Somersham Nature Reserve, which looks after the site, has received £10,000 from the Mick George Community Fund and will use the money to carry out a number of projects.
Planned developments include the creation of two new disabled access points, installation of information boards, and an audio-sound post with steam train sound effects.
In addition, informative collateral on the nature reserve, its wildlife and connecting rights of way will also be created.
Phil Clark, from the friends group, said: “We are really grateful to the Mick George Community Fund for the grant award, as we want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the wonders of the nature reserve and local rights of way network.
You may also want to watch:
“Having access to natural green space is widely acknowledged as being really beneficial for our health and wellbeing. This grant will allow us to improve access for wheelchairs and buggy’s, so that all members of the community can access all areas of the nature reserve and get out into nature.”
Jon Stump, finance director at Mick George, added: “Being able to provide support is immensely satisfying. Over the years, the business has been fortunate to be involved with some wonderful projects that have positively contributed towards the community, and we expect that this initiative will be no different.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment