Fridge sparks house fire in Huntingdonshire village
- Credit: Archant
A fridge is most likely to have caused a fire to break out in a Huntingdonshire home this morning (Monday).
A family were woken by a smoke alarm at about 6.15am after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their Rusts Lane, Alconbury, home.
Fire crews from Sawtry, Yaxley, St Neots and Huntingdon had extinguished the fire by 9.40am.
It is thought the fire was started by an electrical appliance, most probably the fridge.
Watch commander Jeremy Corney said: “The crews arrived to find a well developed fire in the kitchen of the property. The occupants were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm so were able to safely evacuate before we arrived.
You may also want to watch:
“The crews did a great job to extinguish the fire quickly. The damage was mainly confined to the kitchen and conservatory, with some smoke damage to other areas. Our investigation concluded this was an electrical fire that started in the kitchen, most likely from the fridge.”
He added: “This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted. The occupants of this house were alerted and were able to leave safety and contact 999 thanks to theirs. We would encourage all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their premises.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding