Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has warned again about the dangers of using chip pans after a fire broke out in Huntingdon last night (Thursday).

Two crews from Huntingdon were called to a fire on Beech Close at about 7.45pm.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Firefighters arrived to find a fire in the kitchen of a house. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire using a hose reel and cleared the smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

"The occupants of the property were safely evacuated before the crews arrived."

The crews returned to their station by 9.20pm. The cause of the fire was accidental, and started as a result of an overheated chip pan.

The spokesman added: "Chip pans can be extremely dangerous so we would always encourage people to use other methods of cooking chips, such as in an oven."