Free workshops for Cambs overweight children
FREE workshops are being run in St Ives next month for children who are overweight.
Energize – NHS Cambridgeshire’s healthy lifestyles programme – starts on Saturday, November 10, at One Leisure in St Ives and will be for children aged seven to 11.
The two-hour long sessions run for 14 weeks, providing healthy lifestyles help and activity sessions.
Each week will have a different theme giving the children – and parents – the skills and knowledge to ‘eat well, play better and have fun’.
Val Thomas, consultant in public health at NHS Cambridgeshire, said: “Childhood obesity is a big health challenge for nationally and locally our and it’s important to act now to curb the trend by engaging with children and families, to help them take the first steps toward a healthy lifestyle.
“Being overweight can lead to serious health problems in later life such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer and it has negative effects on children’s health and wellbeing.”
She added: “Places for the programme are limited and offered on a first come first served basis, so we urge families to register their interest now.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 7 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 10 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
INFORMATION: From 10am until 12noon. To register contact Lisa Smith or Lorraine Bald on 01480 418647 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org