Free workshops for Cambs overweight children
FREE workshops are being run in St Ives next month for children who are overweight.
Energize – NHS Cambridgeshire’s healthy lifestyles programme – starts on Saturday, November 10, at One Leisure in St Ives and will be for children aged seven to 11.
The two-hour long sessions run for 14 weeks, providing healthy lifestyles help and activity sessions.
Each week will have a different theme giving the children – and parents – the skills and knowledge to ‘eat well, play better and have fun’.
Val Thomas, consultant in public health at NHS Cambridgeshire, said: “Childhood obesity is a big health challenge for nationally and locally our and it’s important to act now to curb the trend by engaging with children and families, to help them take the first steps toward a healthy lifestyle.
You may also want to watch:
“Being overweight can lead to serious health problems in later life such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer and it has negative effects on children’s health and wellbeing.”
She added: “Places for the programme are limited and offered on a first come first served basis, so we urge families to register their interest now.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
INFORMATION: From 10am until 12noon. To register contact Lisa Smith or Lorraine Bald on 01480 418647 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org