Four-year-old boy from St Ives suffers broken leg after mobility scooter hit-and-run

At Warners Park, St Ives, mum Gina Hayward wants witness for incident where woman in mobility scoote

At Warners Park, St Ives, mum Gina Hayward wants witness for incident where woman in mobility scooter crashed into four year old Max Hayward. - Credit: Archant

A four-year-old boy suffered a severely broken leg after being involved in a collision with a mobility scooter.

Gina Hayward, 35, was walking her sons Max, four, Jasper, six, and Zak, nine to Warner’s Park, St Ives, at about 4pm on Friday, September 19.

“We were on our way from Eastfield School and once at the alleyway to the park from Pig Lane, I let them go ahead of me,” Mrs Hayward, of Fairfields Crescent, said. “I heard a scream from around the corner and I knew straight away it was Max.

“I ran as fast as I could but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to see. It was so traumatic.”

The scooter rider, a woman, apparently did not stop following the accident.

Mrs Hayward said: “We had to console Max as well as try to figure out what had happened from him. An off-duty paramedic called John helped out. We called the police and ambulance and the next part was just a whirlwind of flashing blue lights.”

The crash impact broke his tibia and fibula in his left leg.

Most Read

“Max was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital and had to have surgery on his leg on the Saturday because the bones were so badly out of shape,” added Mrs Hayward.

“He stayed in until the Sunday. He is now in a wheelchair and is still in shock from what happened. He won’t tell anyone apart from me, his dad or his brothers what happened.

“He told me she [the scooter rider] didn’t even say sorry. A four-year-old knows that if there is an accident, and accidents do happen, that you say sorry, but the woman didn’t even stop.

“I think it is disgusting that she would leave a child injured.”

Mrs Hayward, who praised the hospital and others who helped, now needs an independent witness to tell the police what happened. CCTV covering the park was not working, she said.

She added: “Max has a great spirit and is a fighter. We saw that when he was five months-old when he had open heart surgery and we have seen it again now.

“He is due to have his cast off on October 28, if it’s all healed properly.”

DC Dianne Booth said: “This collision left the boy with a serious injury to his leg and it will take some time for him to recover fully.

“There were people in the park at the time so I would encourage them to come forward and let us have any information they think could help us determine how the collision happened.”

INFORMATION: Anyone with information should contact DC Booth on 101.