Former St Ives player John Ruddy earns England call up
FORMER St Ives goalkeeper John Ruddy has been granted special leave by the FA to get married to his partner Laura despite being called up for England for this summer’s Euro 2012 finals in Poland and the Ukraine.
The Norwich City ‘keeper told the club’s official website: “It’s a real honour for me and hopefully it’s an indication as to how far I have developed as a player with Norwich City and how far we’ve developed as a squad at Norwich.
“I think this call-up is a testament to the performance of all the lads at the club who have been brilliant to work with and also to Paul Lambert, who gave me the opportunity to come to Norwich and continue my development as a player.
“Playing for my country has been a dream of mine, of course it has. I think as a professional you always want to progress as high as you can within the game and it’s fantastic to get the chance to work with the England staff and players.
“I’m under no illusions as to the quality of Joe Hart and Rob Green and that I will be number three ‘keeper. But I’m really looking forward to training with them and getting down to some hard work.”
Ruddy will now meet up with his new England colleagues next week ahead of warm-up matches away to Norway on May 26 and Belgium on June 2 at Wembley.
Ruddy is scheduled to marry his partner Laura on the day of England’s game against Belgium and had been bracing himself for the possibility of having to cancel the wedding but he’s been given special dispensation by the FA to attend his wedding.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 9 Sawtry Village Academy support 'DOGTOBER' initiative
- 10 St Ives cocaine dealer is jailed
“I’m absolutely delighted and so grateful to the Football Association for agreeing to let me go ahead and get married. It would have been a nightmare after one and a half years of planning to have to postpone the wedding so it’s a major relief that we can still go ahead.”