Former Ivo students peddle for the pounds
- Credit: Archant
Three ex-students from St Ivo School will cycle 360 miles from St Ives to its namesake town in Cornwall next month.
Paul Norton, 39, Glen Burt, 40, and Adam Hulme, also 39, will set off from St Ives on March 20.
Travelling 60 miles a day for six days, the trio will climb a total of 17,000 feet, assisted by support driver Ken Davidson, 40, who is also a past pupil from the school.
“We’ve probably chosen the worst time of year to do it,” Paul told the Post. “We’ll be out in the storms and the rain.”
The friends had been trying to work out 40th birthday plans, but cycling all the way to Cornwall was the idea that stuck.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, Paul will turn 40 on the day they leave.
“We initially looked at the usual stuff like going to Vegas or going somewhere with the family,” Paul said.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
Now though, they are hoping to raise more than £1,000 for War Child, Prostate Cancer UK and the NSPCC.
They have all been training hard for the trip, with Paul cycling between 40 and 50 miles every weekend and completing the St Albans charity bike ride with Glen last year.
“I hadn’t ridden a bike in years,” Paul added.
“I’m now cycling all over the Hertfordshire countryside. We’ve all got young families and our wives have been really supportive, watching us peddling on the pavements at the weekends, but they do think we’re nuts.”
To donate, visit virginmoneygiving.com/team/ST360 and www.justgiving.com/Glen-Burt