Former Ivo students peddle for the pounds
- Credit: Archant
Three ex-students from St Ivo School will cycle 360 miles from St Ives to its namesake town in Cornwall next month.
Paul Norton, 39, Glen Burt, 40, and Adam Hulme, also 39, will set off from St Ives on March 20.
Travelling 60 miles a day for six days, the trio will climb a total of 17,000 feet, assisted by support driver Ken Davidson, 40, who is also a past pupil from the school.
“We’ve probably chosen the worst time of year to do it,” Paul told the Post. “We’ll be out in the storms and the rain.”
The friends had been trying to work out 40th birthday plans, but cycling all the way to Cornwall was the idea that stuck.
In fact, Paul will turn 40 on the day they leave.
“We initially looked at the usual stuff like going to Vegas or going somewhere with the family,” Paul said.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 4 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 9 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 10 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
Now though, they are hoping to raise more than £1,000 for War Child, Prostate Cancer UK and the NSPCC.
They have all been training hard for the trip, with Paul cycling between 40 and 50 miles every weekend and completing the St Albans charity bike ride with Glen last year.
“I hadn’t ridden a bike in years,” Paul added.
“I’m now cycling all over the Hertfordshire countryside. We’ve all got young families and our wives have been really supportive, watching us peddling on the pavements at the weekends, but they do think we’re nuts.”
To donate, visit virginmoneygiving.com/team/ST360 and www.justgiving.com/Glen-Burt