Former gas works could make way for new housing
- Credit: Archant
ll A former gas works in Huntingdon could soon be home to housing under plans submitted to Huntingdonshire District Council.
Developer HS Moss Ltd has applied to the authority for permission to build 11 homes on the former British Gas depot in Mill Common, a site which measures about 1.5 acres.
The site sits adjacent to Portholme Meadow, an historical flood plain and a protected Site of Special Scientific Interest, and is separated from the rest of Huntingdon by the A14.
It was in use as a gas works as far back as the 19th century, but was abandoned in the early 21st century and re-allocated for potential housing use by the district council.
In a statement to district council planners, agents acting for HS Moss Ltd said: “We consider that our proposal would assimilate itself to the existing ‘edge of town’ environment in terms of scale and pattern of development, making efficient use of the site whilst providing high quality, well designed family housing within a sustainable location.
“We are confident that this proposal will enhance the character of the conservation area and will have no negative impact on the wider landscape character of Portholme Meadow.”
Because of the former use of the site, HS Moss acknowledged that it would have taken a number of precautions, should it be granted planning permission, to ensure that any contaminants that remain at the site are not released when building work begins.
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 9 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
To view the plans, or to have a say, log on to www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk.