Floats and family fun at St Ives Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Thousands braved the rain to enjoy two days of floats and family fun at the St Ives Carnival at the weekend.
Spirits weren’t dampened as crowds lined the town’s streets on Saturday as organisations from in and around the area paraded in their stage and screen costumes.
Those who attended saw a procession full of lots of smiling faces that included characters from The Cat in the Hat, Alice in Wonderland and even Little Miss characters.
Then in the afternoon the crowds descended on Hill Rise Park to enjoy the funfair ride and food stalls that had been arranged by the carnival organisers.
Mayor of St Ives, Councillor Debbie Townsend, said: “It was a brilliant day considering we had a downpour half way through the procession but it was great turn out and there were lots wonderful floats.”
You may also want to watch:
On the Sunday, families and music lovers turned up for the festival at Hill Rise Park which saw the likes of Searching Grey, The Decanters and Glamtastic taking to the stage.
“There was a real community atmosphere throughout the weekend, people just turn out to support the carnival and the festival. There was so much to do and great to see everybody making the effort and getting involved,” added Cllr Townsend.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
Cllr Townsend added her thanks to the St Ives carnival committee that organised the entire weekend.