Fitness chain is granted planning permission to convert empty retail unit in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Developers have been given the go-ahead to convert an empty retail unit into Huntingdon’s first 24-hour gym.
National chain, Anytime Fitness will transform Unit 9, of St Benedict’s Court, which has sat empty for about three years.
The new gym will create eight full-time members of staff, including a full-time manager, and has around 443 square metres of space available for state-of-the-art exercise equipment.
Huntingdonshire District Council gave the green light for the gym at the end of last month after town council members recommended it for approval.
In the submitted plans, the company noted: “Gym members would use a security-access key fob to enter the club at all times, even when it is not staffed.
You may also want to watch:
“Members who use Anytime Fitness clubs outside normal hours often include shift workers such as health service personnel, and police and fire service staff.
“Other anticipated users of the proposed gym would include residents of the surrounding area, people who work at nearby businesses, and other members from the local community who are keen to maintain their fitness and well-being,” the plans added.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
The council placed conditions on the planning approval that after 11pm the gym must not play loud music, and all windows and doors to be kept closed during any playing of live or recorded music inside the premises.
The gym will be staffed between the hours of 9am and 9pm during the week and between the hours of 10am and 4pm at weekends. It is also expected that a timetable of group classes will take place within staffed hours.