Fisherman helped net drug dealer in Cambridge
A DRUG dealer who tried to throw his stash into the River Cam when he was stopped by police has been jailed after a fisherman helped officers net his illegal haul.
Qassim Hassan, 23, threw the package containing heroin and crack cocaine during a struggle with officers in St Bartholomew’s Court, Cambridge, on the evening of August 12.
But an eagle-eyed witness spotted the package in the water.
A fisherman leant officers a net and the package, containing about 40 wraps of heroin and crack, was fished out of the river.
Hassan, from Hayes, Middlesex, had been originally stopped and searched by officers but tried to run off after they found a package hidden down his trousers. A struggle ensued during which Hassan threw the package under the police van. His friend then tossed the drugs into the river.
You may also want to watch:
Another package containing about 50 wraps was recovered from Hassan’s trousers.
Hassan pleaded guilty to two counts of possessing class A drugs with intent to supply, possession of a class B drug and assaulting a PC with intent to resist arrest.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
He was jailed for a total of three years and four months at Huntingdon Crown Court yesterday (Thursday).
Detective Constable Tom Taylor said: “Hassan tried to throw away his drugs but thankfully a member of the public saw what happened and alerted the officers who were able to recover them from the river.
“Drug dealing will not be tolerated in Cambridge and we will continue to ensure that dealers who come to the city to sell drugs will be arrested and put before the courts.
“We would continue to urge people to report any suspicious activity to police.”