First marathon is looming for St Neots runner raising money for Spinal Research charity
- Credit: Archant
St Neots runner Naomi Rose is taking part in the London Marathon in a few weeks time to raise money for the Spinal Research charity.
Naomi, aged 33, of Stocker Way, in Eynesbury, will join hundreds of other serious runners and fundraisers for the event on April 23. The social media manager is gradually building up her long distance running but admits she is nervous.
“This is not only my first London Marathon - it’s my first-ever marathon and it does feel a bit daunting,” said Naomi.”
“I have done some 5ks and 10ks and am taking part in a half marathon in March, but I still have a way to go. It is a huge challenge and I have been told that 70 per cent of the challenge is mental and the other 30 per cent is physical and at the moment it does feel that way.”
Naomi is running two to three times each week and includes swimming and circuits as part of her training regime.
“I am racking up the miles, but I only have 10 weeks to go, so it is important now to focus on my training, but be realistic and not push myself too far and risk picking up an injury,” she added.
Naomi chose to raise funds for Spinal Research after a family friend was paralysed after a rugby accident.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
“Our family has been supporting the charity for some years so it seemed only right for me to raise money and awareness of the work it does.”
Spinal Research funds research around the world to develop effective treatment for spinal cord injury.
If you would like to sponsor Naomi, go to: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/naomirose.