Firefighters warn of the dangers of disposable barbecues following blaze

cfrs-stock-media-image-6-20378

- Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to a fire in Yaxley on Friday, to find a garden shed on fire.

The blaze, which also spread to a conservatory, was caused after a disposable barbeque which was not extinguished was placed on a bin.

A fire crew from Dogsthorpe and a crew from Stanground were called to the fire in Green Lane, at about 4.30pm.

Wearing breathing apparatus, the fire crews extinguished the blaze using a hose reel and returned to their stations by 6.10pm.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire was caused by a disposable barbeque being placed on top of a bin that was not fully extinguished.

“Please ensure that when you have finished cooking that the barbeque is cool before you move it and never dispose of the ash in a dustbin. With disposable barbeques in particular, consider leaving them to cool once they have burned out and pour water on to ensure they are fully extinguished.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter