Firefighters tackle Warboys roof fire

THREE fire crews were called to a house fire in Warboys on Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters from Ramsey, Chatteris and Huntingdon, and the turntable ladder from Dogsthorpe in Peterborough, were called to the property in Ramsey Road at 2pm.

Crews used the turntable ladder to extinguish the fire on the roof of the house and cut away at the roof to ensure it did not spread.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Nigel Burgess, station commander for the fire service, said: “The fire spread from some nearby pampas grass, which had been burnt back but was still smouldering, and spread up the wall of the house to the roof.


You may also want to watch:


“Fortunately, thanks to the swift actions of firefighters, the fire did not spread beyond a small area of the roof.

“It is dangerous to burn anything close to your house, especially when the weather is warm and dry. Even if you think a fire is out it can still be smouldering and can quickly spread to your house as this incident demonstrates.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter