Sixty firefighters battle blaze at industrial building in Gamlingay
- Credit: Archant
More than 60 firefighters tackled a deliberate blaze at a disused office block in Gamlingay yesterday (July 5) - but no one was injured.
The fire took place at the two-storey building on the industrial estate on Green End just before 5pm.
Plumes of smoke could be seen for several miles as crews from Gamlingay, Cambridge, St Neots, Kimbolton, Papworth and Huntingdon, along with crews from Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire attended.
They left the scene at 3am this morning (July 6).
Residents were advised to keep their doors and windows shut.
You may also want to watch:
A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “The site has been reinspected since, and will be inspected again later this afternoon to check for any hotspots.
“There were no casualties reported.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
“The cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate.”
Firefighters worked to contain the fire and prevent it spreading to neighbouring derelict domestic buildings.
The water carrier from Ramsey, aerial appliances from Cambridge and Bedfordshire and the incident command unit from Huntingdon were also called.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact police by visiting www.cambs.police.uk to submit an online report or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.