Firefighters tackle 30-acre blaze in field near St Neots
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters extinguished a crop fire near St Neots on Wednesday night (August 13).
Four crews from St Neots, Gamlingay and Papworth were sent to a field off Drewels Lane, Abbotsley at 10.05pm after 30 acres of standing crop and stubble caught alight.
The cause of fire was accidental.
Watch commander Andrew Davis, from Gamlingay Fire Station, said: “Farmers had been working on the field on combine harvesters but luckily no machinery was involved in the fire.
“As I was approaching the incident, I made up for more fire engines as we could see it was covering a large area.
You may also want to watch:
“It was thanks to the extremely hard working crews that stopped this fire spreading even further to hedgerow and adjacent fields.”
The crews was back at base by 12.10am.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity