Fire service issue cigarette safety warning after St Ives hedge fire
- Credit: Archant
The fire service has issued a warning to members of the public about discarding cigarettes following a blaze in St Ives yesterday (Monday).
A crew from Huntingdon were called to a hedge fire at around 1.30pm in Ramsey Road, St Ives.
Firefighters extinguished the fire before returning to their station by 2.10pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "This fire was caused by a discarded cigarette, which could had been easily avoided.
You may also want to watch:
"With the dry winter we've had and the weather warming up, it's really important that people dispose of their smoking materials correctly. If they're thrown from a car window they can quickly ignite dry grass verges.
"Tobacco is designed to stay alight and as a result, cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire so make sure you put them out properly."
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31