Fire service appeal for on-call firefighters in Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue have launched an appeal for on-call firefighters around Huntingdonshire.
The public are urged to go along to the taster sessions which are being held across the county, to meet those who do the job and to try out some of the activities that fire-fighters need to be able to do.
An on call fire fighter are men and women who may have other jobs and are able to provide evening, daytime or weekend cover.
They receive an annual wage to reflect the time they commit to being available plus additional payments for attending incidents and drill nights (one evening a week for two hours).
Group Commander Gary Mitchley, head of on-call said:
“On-call firefighters are a vital part of today’s fire and rescue service and respond to a range of incidents, from fighting fires, attending road traffic collisions, or animal rescues to promoting fire safety.
“Taster sessions are a fantastic opportunity for anyone considering applying, to find out more about becoming an on-call firefighter.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
“It’s a hugely rewarding role, and we hope to welcome members of the community people from all backgrounds to the events.”
Sessions are being held on Saturday 16 June, 12:30pm-3pm St Ives Fire Station, Women only ,Saturday 23 June, 10am 2pm - Cottenham Fire Station ,Saturday 30 June, 10am 1pm - Huntingdon Fire Station and Saturday 7 July, 10am 1pm Soham Fire Station.
Those who are interested in finding out more about becoming an on-call firefighter in Cambridgeshire and are over the age of 18 are welcome to book onto a session. Participants are advised to wear trainers and suitable clothes for exercising when attending the session.
For more information or to book your place at one of the sessions please call 01480 444500 or email email@example.com. Places are limited so you must book in advance.