Fire crews called to extinguish mattress on bonfire

FIREFIGHTERS were called to extinguish a garden fire at a property in Southoe on which a mattress was being burned.

FIREFIGHTERS were called to extinguish a garden fire at a property in Southoe on which a mattress was being burned.

Crews from Huntingdon and St neots were called to the fire, which was initially believed to be at a car sales yard off the A1 northbound at Southoe.

They arrived to find that it was actually a fire in a garden behind a bungalow at the car sales yard, containing wood, signage and a mattress. The fire was not affecting the yard itself.

Crews used one hose reel to extinguish the fire and returned to their fire station by 9.40pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Paul Oliver, firefighter at St Neots Fire Station, said: “When we arrived, smoke was issuing across the carriageway. We would advise people that if they are going to have a bonfire, to ensure that the smoke does not cross any roads, causing problems for traffic.

“Also, never burn hazardous rubbish such as plastics and furniture such as sofas as this can be hazardous to the environment.”

Most Read

INFORMATION: For further bonfire safety advice, see www.cambsfire.gov.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter