FIREFIGHTERS extinguished a fire on open ground in Earith last night (Wednesday).

FIREFIGHTERS extinguished a fire on open ground in Earith last night (Wednesday).

They were called at 9.50pm and arrived to find an area of grass measuring about three metres by nine metres alight, and used two hose reels to extinguish the fire.

They returned to their fire station by 10.55pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

A fire service spokesperson said: "Due to the dry weather conditions, even a small spark can spread very quickly, causing a large fire.

"We are urging residents to ensure that they don't flick lit cigarettes or glass bottles out of car windows which can magnify the sun's rays and cause a fire."

INFORMATION: Further information about how to prevent a fire outdoors can be found at http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/fire-safety-outside.php