Firefighters battled a blaze at a Huntingdon home after an electric heater set fire to some curtains.

One crew from Huntingdon, one crew from St Neots, one crew from St Ives and one crew from Sawtry were called to Milton Close at 5.03pm on Friday (November 28).

A fire had started in the bedroom area of a mid-terraced house and had spread through the ceiling and into the hallway of the property.

A resident, who was in the room where the fire started, was safely outside on the arrival of the fire service.

They extinguished the flames before returning to their stations by 9pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Station commander Martin Ockenden said: "As the temperature drops and residents start using portable heaters to warm their homes, we would like to take this opportunity to remind them of the dangers that can arise.

"Always ensure heaters are placed well away from furnishings or other combustible materials, do not leave heaters on around the clock and always turn them off before you go to bed."