Firefighters tackling blaze in retirement complex in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have been called to tackle a blaze at what is thought to be a retirement complex in Huntingdon tonight (Friday).
Part of the ring road in Huntingdon has been closed off by emergency services while fire crews tackle a large fire at a block of flats, understood to be the Elm Tree Court retirement complex.
The blaze is believed to have started at about 10.30pm.
Cambridgeshire police were also called to attend the scene. There are no details of any injuries at this stage but reports locally say residents have been evacuated.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “Officers are currently assisting other emergency services at the scene of a fire in Cromwell Walk, Huntingdon. Please avoid the area.”
You may also want to watch:
Specialist appliances have been called to the scene by firefighters, with crews appearing to tackle a fire in the roof of the property.
Residents living near the scene have been told to stay inside and keep their windows shut by fire crews because of “thick black smoke” coming from the site of the fire.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash