Fire at Huntingdon recycling centre
FIREFIGHTERS used a digger to create a firebreak and put out a blaze at a recycling centre near Ellington.
FIREFIGHTERS used a digger to create a firebreak as they tackled a blaze at a recycling centre near Brampton Hut.
Machinery used to separate wood particles and dust at Huntingdon Recycling Ltd caught fire just before 11pm on Monday.
Crews from Huntingdon and Kimbolton went to the plant, which processes compost and recycles waste wood, and found the blaze had spread to a pile of wood chips.
They prevented it spreading to other flammable materials at the site between Ellington and Brampton.
You may also want to watch:
Site manager Kevin Normington, who lives 250 yards from the plant, rushed to the scene after seeing the fire from his window.
He said: “We have our own firefighting equipment on site, but someone had already called the fire service and they were there very quickly.”
- 1 Lorry driver who 'couldn't stand up' was three times over drink-drive limit
- 2 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Fantastic snow photos from our Hunts Post readers
- 5 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 6 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 9 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
A Huntingdon Recycling Ltd employee stayed on site throughout the night before a second safety check by fire crews on Tuesday morning.
Mr Normington said there were security cameras at the plant.
He said: “One of our employees was due to do his regular walk-round at around 11pm but, fortunately, the fire was seen and reported sooner.”
Mr Normington said the company was hopeful of repairing the �90,000 machine, and the processing of compost would not be affected.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.