Fenstanton man rescued from fire as roof collapses around him
- Credit: Archant
THE fire service have said it was a “miracle” that a man pulled from a fire in Fenstanton this morning (August 13) survived.
Firefighters rescued the man from his bedroom window after a blaze that started in the roof of his bungalow in Peartree Close and spread to a neighbours home.
The man had been asleep in bed when the roof above him collapsed before firefighters arrived on the scene at 3.23am.
He was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital with suspected smoke inhalation.
Crews from Huntingdon, Ramsey, Cambridge and Sawston fought the fire, described as severe and well developed on arrival.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was under control by 5.03am but firefighters remained on scene until 8.05am as a precaution.
Callum Faint, station commander at CFRS, said: “We rescued one man who was still asleep in the bedroom of the building and it is a miracle that he survived the roof collapse prior to our arrival.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
“Crews worked tirelessly to stop the fire spreading to the next door property but unfortunately we were unsuccessful and the neighbour’s roof was damaged.
“One house is totally destroyed and the roof of another is structurally unsafe.
“The cause of the fire is accidental.”