Fancy your very own island? Auctioneer putting a plot in the middle of the Great Ouse up for sale
- Credit: Archant
An island which sits in the River Great Ouse is being put up for auction – with the bidding expected to reach £100,000.
Cambridgeshire-based Cheffins is selling 8.75 acres of grassland and woodland which includes a plot on the River Great Ouse on the edge of Houghton.
The land and 1.5acre island go under the hammer on Wednesday, December 9, with a guide price of between £100,000 and £125,000.
The island is accessible via a footbridge and is close to the historic Houghton Mill, owned by the National Trust.
Cheffins auctioneer Ian Kitson said he expected the lot to generate plenty of interest.
“People will look at this for their own varying reasons, including simply wanting to own land as an investment, having an interest in nature or wanting land for animals to graze,” he said.
“The land generally comprises a flat parcel of well-maintained grassland in a single plot of around 7.3 acres and is surrounded by a mature broadleaf tree belt and hedgerows.
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 7 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 8 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 9 Wood Farm has become 'rodent heaven' says Anne Marie
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
“At the southern edge of the land, a wooden footbridge leads on to an island comprising mixed woodland and amenity land, extending to approximately 1.45 acres along the River Great Ouse.
“The land is accessible from Thicket Road by vehicle whilst the island has pedestrian access.
“A public footpath along the Great Ouse links the land to the nearby historic Houghton Mill, a popular National Trust property and Houghton Mill camping and caravan site.”
The auction is taking place from 2pm on Wednesday, December 9 at Clifton House, Clifton Road, Cambridge.