Family lose everything in New Year’s Day house fire
A SINGLE mum and her three children have been left destitute, after a fire ripped through their home on New Year’s Day.
Jenny Edwards, who had just moved into her home in The Avenue, Ramsey, with her son and two daughters, lost all her furniture and clothes in the blaze. Her children lost almost all their toys and Christmas presents.
Jenny said: “I took an �800 loan out to pay for Christmas, but we have lost everything I bought, the Christmas tree, a dining table and chairs, and the children’s Christmas presents.”
Jenny’s aunt, Susan Edwards, said: “It is such a tragedy. She had saved and saved, but has lost everything and will now have to start again from scratch.
“I think the only things that can be salvaged will be some kitchen equipment. Jenny is really distraught, she is in bits. She keeps thinking that we could have been arranging funerals this week.
You may also want to watch:
“Fortunately the children were not in the house, they were staying with grandparents. The family is now rallying round to try to find them some clothes and the council will be housing them until new accommodation can be found.”
Jenny had been out with friends on New Year’s Eve. At about 6am on New Year’s Day a friend staying overnight heard the smoke alarm and went to investigate.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Susan said: “He found the lounge completely alight and called to Jenny to get out.
“Another friend who had been sleeping on the settee in the lounge could not be found at first. The friend who found the fire went back inside and found the woman in the dining room.
“She was dragged outside and was unconscious and fitting. Her rescuer suffered burned legs and they were both taken to hospital.”
Susan also said: “We think the fire was caused by a faulty lamp.”
Anyone able to help Jenny and her family are asked to call on 077323 13927.