Family fun as Riverside Gala returns to Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
A FREE family fun event that is run for the community, by the community, returns to Huntingdon next month.
The Riverside Gala will have something for everyone with attractions including the Wood Green fun dog show, a fun fair, live music and dance performances.
It takes place at Riverside Park in Huntingdon on Saturday, June 8, and there will even be a World War II RAF flyover – weather permitting.
The gala will also include stalls from a number of charities that work in the community and, for the first time, a retail village with stalls set up by local businesses.
There will also be a representative from the tourist centre at Salon De Provence in the south of France, one of Huntingdon’s twin towns.
You may also want to watch:
Malcolm Lyons, one of the event organisers, said: “The focus is always to have a community event so that charities can come and raise money and other community groups can get involved.
“Rather than having the event organised by one person, we get lots of people involved which makes it much better for the public. We all join together to make it work well.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
One of the main attractions every year is the dog show with prizes given out throughout the day in categories such as ‘Most Handsome Dog’, ‘Golden Oldie’ and ‘Dog the Judge Would Like to Take Home.’
There will also be a barbecue and refreshments available.
Many community groups are involved in the organising of the event, such as Huntingdon Rotary Club and The Huntingdon Boat Club.
Rhiannon Sarginson, who helps organise the event on behalf the boat club, said: “It’s an event made for the community by people who want to show what’s going on in the community and how to get involved. For that reason it’s an event that virtually runs itself.”
INFORMATION: The gala is open from 12pm until 5pm and is free. For more details and specific timings of events go to the gala Facebook site www.facebook.com/HuntingdonRiverside Gala or follow on twitter @huntingdongala