A FAMILY escaped from their home in Godmanchester yesterday (Tuesday) after an electric heater started a fire started in their dining room.

A FAMILY escaped from their home in Godmanchester yesterday (Tuesday) after an electric heater started a fire started in their dining room.

The woman and two children were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm, and managed to get out of the house safely before dialling 999.

Fire crews from Huntingdon attended the property in Corpus Christi Lane in Godmanchester at around 4.30pm.

They arrived and entered the home wearing breathing apparatus. They discovered a fire in the dining room, which had been caused by an electrical heater which set fire to the curtains.

The fire damage was limited to the corner of the dining room, however, once firefighters had extinguished the fire they had to cut away a section of the wall to ensure that the fire had not spread into the timber frame of the building.

The rest of the home was smoke damaged.

Darryl Sharp, watch manager at Huntingdon Fire Station, said: "This week is Electrical Fire Safety week and this incident highlights just how easily electrical appliances can cause a fire in your home.

"Thankfully, this family had a working smoke alarm and were alerted to the fire quickly and able to escape."

INFORMATION: To find out more about Electrical Fire Safety Week and smoke alarms, contact your local fire station or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk/