Brampton book lovers celebrate successful first year
- Credit: Archant
Families across Brampton are being invited to a special celebration event to mark the first birthday of its growing community library.
The library, which is based in Brampton Community Centre on the High Street, will be open between 11am and 2pm this Saturday to coincide with the Brampton Open Gardens event.
The community library opened last June after months of work by a team of volunteers who were keen to ensure that residents had access to a local library service.
Staffed entirely by a team of 15 volunteers, the library opens three days a week on Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Saturday’s and is stocked with a wide range of books, including a children’s corner.
Brampton Community Library has access to all County Library services and also operates a weekly delivery system so that books can be ordered from or returned to any of Cambridgeshire’s libraries.
You may also want to watch:
During its first year, the number of regular borrowers has grown steadily and it has also taken part in a range of county and national reading initiatives, including the Summer Reading Challenge, which encourages children to continue reading during the school summer holidays.
Jackie Woodward, one of the founders of Brampton Community Library, said: “It has been wonderful to see so many people enjoying the library during our first year and we are very fortunate to have had such a fantastic team of volunteers supporting us, staffing each session and working behind the scenes to develop the library.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
“We have lots of exciting plans for the future, such as introducing the Libraries at Home Scheme as well as enhancing the children’s section and building relationships with different sections of the community. We also hope to increase the provision of other services through the Brampton Village Hub and the County Library Service.
“Please come along and join us this Saturday to help us celebrate our first birthday and hopefully find yourself an exciting summer read at the same time.”
For further information about Brampton Community Library, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The library’s opening hours are Monday 11.30am-1.30pm, Wednesday 3pm-5pm and Saturday 11.30am-1.30pm.