Brampton book lovers celebrate successful first year
- Credit: Archant
Families across Brampton are being invited to a special celebration event to mark the first birthday of its growing community library.
The library, which is based in Brampton Community Centre on the High Street, will be open between 11am and 2pm this Saturday to coincide with the Brampton Open Gardens event.
The community library opened last June after months of work by a team of volunteers who were keen to ensure that residents had access to a local library service.
Staffed entirely by a team of 15 volunteers, the library opens three days a week on Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Saturday’s and is stocked with a wide range of books, including a children’s corner.
Brampton Community Library has access to all County Library services and also operates a weekly delivery system so that books can be ordered from or returned to any of Cambridgeshire’s libraries.
During its first year, the number of regular borrowers has grown steadily and it has also taken part in a range of county and national reading initiatives, including the Summer Reading Challenge, which encourages children to continue reading during the school summer holidays.
Jackie Woodward, one of the founders of Brampton Community Library, said: “It has been wonderful to see so many people enjoying the library during our first year and we are very fortunate to have had such a fantastic team of volunteers supporting us, staffing each session and working behind the scenes to develop the library.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
“We have lots of exciting plans for the future, such as introducing the Libraries at Home Scheme as well as enhancing the children’s section and building relationships with different sections of the community. We also hope to increase the provision of other services through the Brampton Village Hub and the County Library Service.
“Please come along and join us this Saturday to help us celebrate our first birthday and hopefully find yourself an exciting summer read at the same time.”
For further information about Brampton Community Library, email email@example.com. The library’s opening hours are Monday 11.30am-1.30pm, Wednesday 3pm-5pm and Saturday 11.30am-1.30pm.