Face coverings must be worn in shops or risk fine - What do you think?
- Credit: Archant
Face coverings must be worn in shops and supermarkets in England from July 24 – or you risk getting a fine of up to £100.
Environment Secretary George Eustice said the mandatory use of face masks in England would apply to “all shops”, but not pubs and restaurants.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany.
People have been advised to wear coverings in enclosed public spaces since mid-May.
Speaking this morning (July 14), Mr Eustice did not rule out the mandatory use of face coverings being extended to offices and other workplaces in the future.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month Dr Liz Robin, director of public health for Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council, said wearing a mask sent out a message that the wearer is “showing consideration for others”.
But she also warned: “Wearing a face covering will not prevent you from catching the virus, but it could prevent you from unknowingly spreading it to other people.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
New analysis from money.co.uk found that disposable masks would cost every person in the UK £189.80 a year. In comparison, using a reusable face mask would cost just £4 per year.
Using population data from ONS, it was estimated that if every person in Huntingdonshire used a disposable mask every day for a year it would cost £33,777,377 and generate 178 tonnes of plastic waste. Source: Sustainable Shopping Budgeting Guide (https://www.money.co.uk/guides/sustainable-shopping-budgeting)
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Should wearing a face mask or covering in shops be compulsory? Email firstname.lastname@example.org