Face coverings must be worn in shops or risk fine - What do you think?
- Credit: Archant
Face coverings must be worn in shops and supermarkets in England from July 24 – or you risk getting a fine of up to £100.
Environment Secretary George Eustice said the mandatory use of face masks in England would apply to “all shops”, but not pubs and restaurants.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany.
People have been advised to wear coverings in enclosed public spaces since mid-May.
Speaking this morning (July 14), Mr Eustice did not rule out the mandatory use of face coverings being extended to offices and other workplaces in the future.
Earlier this month Dr Liz Robin, director of public health for Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council, said wearing a mask sent out a message that the wearer is “showing consideration for others”.
But she also warned: “Wearing a face covering will not prevent you from catching the virus, but it could prevent you from unknowingly spreading it to other people.”
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 4 Huntingdon MP joins growing voices of dissent over Boris
- 5 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 6 Blood donors needed urgently for session in Huntingdon
- 7 Five bedroom house with gardens for sale in quiet village of Eaton Socon
- 8 Plaque unveiled for Legion's new home
- 9 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 10 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
New analysis from money.co.uk found that disposable masks would cost every person in the UK £189.80 a year. In comparison, using a reusable face mask would cost just £4 per year.
Using population data from ONS, it was estimated that if every person in Huntingdonshire used a disposable mask every day for a year it would cost £33,777,377 and generate 178 tonnes of plastic waste. Source: Sustainable Shopping Budgeting Guide (https://www.money.co.uk/guides/sustainable-shopping-budgeting)
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Should wearing a face mask or covering in shops be compulsory? Email email@example.com