Eynesbury couple to celebrate their diamond anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple who met at a work’s Christmas party are celebrating 60 years of marriage on Thursday.
Charles and Edna Wills from Shirdley Road, Eynesbury set eyes upon each other at Samuel Jones and Co in Camberwell, London when they were 18 and 16. Edna, 80, said: “I was a wages clerk and he was a machine minder – I had just come out of school went I met Charles.”
Charles, 81, added: “When I saw Edna I thought she was a bit of alright.”
Four years later, in 1955, the pair were married at St Paul’s Church in Peckham.
“We had a small wedding because we did not have a very big families, because my father had died before we got married my uncle gave me away,” added Edna.
The grandparents of seven then moved to St Neots when Samuel Jones moved their operations to the area.
Charles said: “I was with the firm for 43 years when I retired but Edna was only there for seven.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
The couple went onto have four children, three boys and one girl.
They have been asked a number of times by their family especially their grandchildren what the secret is for staying together for so long.
“We are always happy and always smiling, our grandchildren always say I hope we are as happy as you are,” added Charles.
To celebrate their diamond anniversary the pair will be going for a meal with 22 of their family and friends.
“In October we will also be going to the Isle of Man for a holiday,” said Charles.