Exposure to asbestos caused rare form of cancer that led to death of Huntingdon man
- Credit: Archant
A Huntingdon man who died from a rare form of cancer believes he contracted the disease after prolonged exposure to asbestos.
Ivor Cambers, of Dartmoor Drive, Huntingdon, died after developing mesothelioma, which he believes he contracted during his work at a factory in St Neots.
An inquest held at Lawrence Court, Huntingdon, on Thursday (October 22), heard that the 75-year-old worked as a facilities manager during the 1970s and 80s.
The inquest heard that, during that time, Mr Cambers believes he was exposed to asbestos dust after the roof was changed at his place of work, and from maintenance of the boiler room.
In the weeks before his death, Mr Cambers provided a statement to HMRC regarding his work history.
You may also want to watch:
Read out by senior coroner for Peterborough and Cambridgeshire David Heming, he said: “I am sure that I had exposure to asbestos when I had become facilities manager.
“I estimate that total time to refurbish the roof was six months – they were replacing the whole roof in sections – therefore the exposure must have come from the dust around the factory.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
In statement from Mr Cambers former colleague John Thwaites, read out by Mr Heming, he said: “There was no protection given for the dust and no masks were given at the time of my employment.”
Mr Thwaites added that on occasions Mr Cambers would have been with him in the boiler room when he had to cut through pipes and dust would escape.
The 75-year-old was diagnosed with mesothelioma in February and was admitted to Hinchingbrooke Hospital in July but was his treatment was only palliative and was allowed to go home. He died at his home on August 11.
Coroner Mr Heming recorded a conclusion of industrial disease due to “exposure to asbestos dust throughout the course of employment.”