Enthusiasts step in to save vintage bus from scrap yard
- Credit: Archant
A bus which transported thousands of people from Huntingdon and St Ives to Cambridge has been saved from the scrap yard by enthusiasts.
Whippet’s final Volvo Citybus was withdrawn from service in December 2016 but before its fate was decided, a group of bus fans stepped in to buy the double-decker for about £1,500.
The Eastern Bus Enthusiasts group bought the vehicle, which had served for 26 years, after it was moved to Whippet’s Swavesey depot, and passed to bus dealer’s Chartwell.
Nick Larkin, group spokesman, said: “This is a rare vehicle which will have covered more than a million miles and travelled the 1A route from Huntingdon to Cambridge literally thousands of times.
“Many people are very pleased that the future of this bus has been secured.”
You may also want to watch:
The bus was given its first public outing on May 21 at the Fenland Busfest which saw hundreds of people gather to admire a host of vintage buses. According to the group, it is hoped that the bus will be repainted to its original livery by 2019, in time for the 100th anniversary of Whippet.
Stephen Longmire, from the group, said: “This is an important vehicle and many people are pleased to see it preserved, including those at Whippet who have been great.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Work will be carried out to restore the bus to its original 1989 condition, with blue and cream paint, and the original Whippet logo.
The bus was withdrawn from service by Whippet’s new owners Tower Transit in December 2016 after it no longer met with the new Disability Discrimination
Act, due to its stepped entrance.
To find out more about the Eastern Bus Enthusiasts, go to ww.easternbusgroup.co.uk.