Emergency services test their response to ‘hospital explosion’ during exercise
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services tested their response to a disaster scenario during a training exercise held at Papworth Hospital.
Firefighters and officers from Papworth and St Ives were called to a practice scenario involving an explosion on the hospital site, which also required police and ambulance support.
The hospital’s crisis management team was also set up and put to the test.
Watch commander Martin Ward, of Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This exercise allowed us to test our response procedures while working with our partner agencies in a realistic setting. We were also able to use live casualties with simulated injuries, which allowed the crews the opportunity to rescue and provide first aid, while working with ambulance staff on the aftercare.”
The scenario also tested the hospital staff’s response plans, including setting up a critical incident management team with representatives from the hospital’s clinical, operations and communications teams.
You may also want to watch:
Eilish Midlane, chief operating officer at Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Like all hospitals, Papworth must be prepared to deal with a huge range of critical incidents that could occur without warning on the hospital site.
“This training exercise was an excellent opportunity to put our critical incident plan to the test, train new members of staff and identify ways we can be even better prepared. We would like to thank the local emergency services for helping us to organise such a valuable event.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 4 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her