Trees were felled, transport networks disrupted and power to hundreds of homes cut as Storm Doris swept through Huntingdonshire on Thursday.

Tree in Snowy Way, Hartford, narrowly missed cars and housesTree in Snowy Way, Hartford, narrowly missed cars and houses

The Met Office issued an amber weather warning for wind, with gusts of up to 70mph battering the district throughout the day and into the early evening.

There were reports of trees being felled in St Neots, Godmanchester, and Hartford while homes in Fenstanton, Ramsey, and Huntingdon experienced loss of power.

Traffic signals in St Neots were also affected by power outages, while Bluntisham recycling centre was forced to close.

Roads were particularly badly hit during the day, with lengthy delays on the A1 near Brampton after a lorry overturned because of high winds.

Trees being cleared from the A141, between Wyton and Hartford.Trees being cleared from the A141, between Wyton and Hartford.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council said its teams had dealt with 70 incidents throughout the day, the majority of which involved fallen trees across the county.

The Wildlife Trust for Cambridgeshire also said its teams would be out assessing the damage after reports of felled trees at its reserves in Cambridgeshire.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said it experienced a spike in calls as residents reported everything from fallen trees to damaged buildings.

In a 12-hour period from 9am until 9pm, the service received a total of 42 calls involving fallen trees as well as one involving a leaning tree. Other calls involved dangerous structures such as a metal marquee which had blown onto a car, trampolines blown onto roofs and into trees, roof felt coming off a building and a tree that had collapsed onto a sub station in Peterborough.

Group Commander Teri Seaber said: "Our combined fire control was flat out all day but that is what we are here for and at the end of the day we left feeling proud of what we had achieved."

Cambridgeshire police, meanwhile, said its control centre had received 750 999 calls, which it described as "the most ever in a single day" by the force.