Elderly woman, 82, mugged in street in St Ives by thief on bike
- Credit: Archant
An 82-year-old woman was knocked to the ground by a thief who stole her handbag during a mugging in St Ives.
The victim had just collected her husband’s pension on Monday (June 22) and was walking near a children’s playground in Beech Drive, near Houghton Road, at 9.20am, when the thief approached from behind on a bike.
He grabbed and stole the bag with such force that she fell to the floor. She was not hurt but was left shaken and upset.
The thief, who cycled off, was described as white, tall and wore a grey long-sleeved top and a grey peaked hat.
DC Stu Miller, who is investigating, said: “This was a cowardly attack on a vulnerable woman and I am keen to catch the person responsible as soon as possible.
“A man driving a red car stopped to check to see if she was ok before chasing after the suspect and we would urge him to get in touch.
“Anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, should call us on 101 and quote crime number 0248550615.”
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 4 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 5 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 10 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.