Elderly woman, 82, mugged in street in St Ives by thief on bike
- Credit: Archant
An 82-year-old woman was knocked to the ground by a thief who stole her handbag during a mugging in St Ives.
The victim had just collected her husband’s pension on Monday (June 22) and was walking near a children’s playground in Beech Drive, near Houghton Road, at 9.20am, when the thief approached from behind on a bike.
He grabbed and stole the bag with such force that she fell to the floor. She was not hurt but was left shaken and upset.
The thief, who cycled off, was described as white, tall and wore a grey long-sleeved top and a grey peaked hat.
DC Stu Miller, who is investigating, said: “This was a cowardly attack on a vulnerable woman and I am keen to catch the person responsible as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“A man driving a red car stopped to check to see if she was ok before chasing after the suspect and we would urge him to get in touch.
“Anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, should call us on 101 and quote crime number 0248550615.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.