Drink driver jailed after A428 bus crash
- Credit: Archant
A DRUNK and disqualified driver who hit a bus head on while almost twice over the legal limit has been jailed.
Richard Cousins crashed into the single decker bus on the A428, near to the junction with the A1198 at Caxton Gibbet at 11.30pm on Saturday, August 4 last year when it was carrying 31 passengers.
The 46-year-old of Fawnlea, Cambourne was trapped in the driver’s seat of his Ford Ka after the smash and received serious but not life threatening injuries.
He was found to have 142 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood at the time of the accident, when the legal limit is 80.
Cousins was jailed for six weeks for driving whilst disqualified and six weeks for excess alcohol, to run concurrently, and was also banned from driving for 10 years.
You may also want to watch:
He had pleaded guilty to driving whilst disqualified, driving without insurance, driving without due care and attention and driving under the influence of alcohol when he appeared at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court on January 9.
“Cousins was not only drunk but had no insurance and was disqualified,” PC Stephanie Corletto said.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
“He was lucky that no one on the bus was injured. He caused thousands of pounds worth of damage and received serious injuries himself.
“We will not tolerate unlawful driving and will prosecute anyone who gets behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol or disqualified.”