Dream come true for Huntingdon firefighter as she is surprised with a silver screen-style marriage proposal
- Credit: Archant
A Huntingdon firefighter was given the shock of her life after being proposed to in the style of her favourite film.
Jake Bourne, a member of the Parachute Regiment, turned up at Huntingdon fire station in full uniform to propose in to his partner, Sonya Hawes, in a style made famous in the film An Officer and a Gentleman.
“There were 20 new recruits in the yard and a watch being trained, and the whole station has the song from An Officer and a Gentleman playing over the tannoy and I remember asking, ‘Why are they playing this, it’s not even a Christmas song?,” said Ms Hawes.
“Then I looked out the window and saw Jake coming up the stairs in his uniform.”
After joking a couple of weeks earlier that she’d love to be proposed in the guise of the 1982 film, Mr Bourne knew that his would be the ideal proposal.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Hawes added: “I’d completely forgotten about my joke about An Officer and a Gentleman proposal so it was completely out of the blue, but it was awesome.”
Mr Bourne will now leave the country for six months, on deployment with the military, but Ms Hawes says they plan to get married later this year.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed