Donald Trump makes flying visit to Stansted as he begins tour of UK
- Credit: Archant
US President Donald Trump made a swift exit from Stansted Airport after flying in this afternoon (Thursday) for the start of his UK tour.
Mr Trump landed at Stansted with his wife Melania on Air Force One at 1.50pm before flying onto London.
The couple were met by International Trade Secretary Liam Fox, the Lord Lieutenant of Essex Jenny Tolhurst, the chief operating officer at Stansted Airport Brad Miller, and Woody Johnson, the United States Ambassador to the UK.
President Trump left Air Force One and was ushered straight aboard a waiting helicopter with his wife as the media gallery watched on.
This evening the couple will attend a black-tie dinner at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire.
Mr Trump, who had previously been in Brussels at a Nato summit, will hold meetings with Prime Minister Theresa May and meet the Queen whilst in the UK.
The president and first lady are to meet the Queen on Friday afternoon.
- 1 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
It is Mr Trump’s first visit to the UK since he won the presidential election in 2016 against Hilary Clinton.
Landing, Mr Trump was wearing a dark suit with a red and black striped tie while Mrs Trump was wearing a beige dress with a red belt and Christian Louboutin shoes.
You can watch a video of the president’s arrival by visiting the Dunmow Broadcast’s Facebook page.