Do you recognise anyone in this old photograph taken at RAF Wyton in 1952?
- Credit: Archant
This photograph was sent to us by Thomas Gilby and shows airmen outside an old hangar at RAF Wyton in March 1952.
My Gilby, who served in the Royal Airforce, told us he was posted to the airbase in 1952 and served there until 1955.
“At that time, food was still rationed, and my eating was supplemented by visits to the Blenheim Café, which stood opposite the camp on Sawtry Way,” he said.
Mr Gilby told us there was also a camp garage, which he believes was run by H Burge and he remembers the old Astra Cinema. Mr Gilby who lives in Ware now is hoping some of the people in the photograph may recognise themselves and want to make contact or readers may have information about the garage and the family who owned it.
“Most of these lads in the photograph would have been between 18 and 24 years of age and like myself in their early 80s now and maybe someone will recognise themselves or remember their old friends from that time.”
You may also want to watch:
INFO: If you have any information, contact Mr Gilby on 01920 461345.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'