District council ‘taking action’ after travellers move onto car park in Godmanchester
- Credit: Archant
The district council has said it is taking action after travellers set up camp in a Godmanchester car park.
A small group of travellers arrived at Bridge Place car park on Sunday afternoon and caused concern among residents, who speculated that the group may have moved from Cambourne or Stapleford, where enforcement has taken place in recent days.
Following the arrival, some residents took to Facebook to share their concern, with one saying: “Dread to think what they’ll leave behind. Previous cleanup operations have involved getting rid of their excrement.”
Another said: “Very worrying. It’s bad enough without this.”
Huntingdonshire District Council says it has begun working with Cambridgeshire police to move the travellers on from the car park.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the authority said: “The district council is taking action in respect of an illegal traveller encampment at Bridge Place car park, Godmanchester, and officers are in the process of taking action to remove the travellers from the site.”
The mayor of Godmanchester, Councillor Sarah Conboy, added in a Facebook post that the council was aware that the travellers were in the car park, and was taking “the usual steps to move them on and clear the site if necessary afterwards”.
- 1 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives