Delays on A1 and A14 in Huntingdonshire after lorry catches fire
- Credit: Archant
An early morning lorry fire is causing lengthy delays on the A1 and A14 spur.
Three lanes of the northbound carriageway just after the Alconbury junction are closed after a fire broke out in a lorry just before 4am today (Monday).
Four crews from Huntingdon, Sawtry and Yaxley arrived to find the lorry, which was carrying plastic and rubber, well alight.
A spokesman for the fire service said they called for a water carrier appliance from RAF Alconbury as they were struggling with water supply.
She added: “The Environment Agency have been informed due to the water run off because of the contents of the lorry.”
You may also want to watch:
The road was reopened by 1.30pm.
The problem was exacerbated by the full closure of the A14 westbound at Thrapston with motorists diverted north on the A1.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?